Staff Accountant Intern
Job Number (ID): 6002
Job Title: Staff Accountant Intern
Location: Lake Ridge, Virginia (Washington DC Metro)
Classification: Part-Time/Full-Time (Flexible)
Reports to: Senior Accountant
Min Experience: N/A
Required Travel: 0-10%
Hour Rate: Market. We don’t negotiate. We pay market rates. Know your own worth!
Description: Provide Partner and clients with financial information by researching and analyzing accounts; bookkeeping; and preparing financial statements. Works directly with clients’ management/staff.
Staff Accountant Responsibilities:
1. Perform the following financial activities:
- Prepare general ledger entries each month for multiple small business clients, and maintain records and files.
- Calculate and prepare entries for expense accruals for month-end and year-end close processes.
- Prepare monthly, quarterly and annual company-wide and project/job cost reports for clients using Deltek, Pro Cash, SAGE 50, QuickBooks or other general ledger software.
- Calculate indirect rates (G&A, Overhead, Fringe, and Bid & Proposal Costs) each month
2. Perform the following reconciliations each month:
- Reconcile various general ledger accounts monthly including bank accounts, and credit statements, etc.
- Reconcile the Labor Distribution Report to the payroll records and to and from the accumulation records in the labor subsidiary or the general ledger, to include the proper recording by job/contract.
- Implement a reconciliation process between the current and cumulative invoiced amounts to the accounting system in support of interim voucher current and cumulative amounts.
3. Perform the following review and reconciliation each month:
- Ensure the appropriate charging of direct and indirect labor to cost objectives.
- Ensure that the Distribution report differentiates labor expense for each labor type and, for direct labor, by contract/jobs.
- Ensure that the Labor Distribution report adequately documents all labor related dollars and hours.
4. Other responsibilities
- Implement accounting procedures by analyzing current procedures; recommending changes.
- Answer accounting and financial questions from clients by researching and interpreting data.
- Fixed asset record keeping.
- Assist in developing, maintaining and analyzing financial budget activities for clients.
- Assist in special projects and reports as needed for clients.
- Build and maintain electronic spreadsheets as needed.
- Update chart of accounts as needed.
- Must be a self-starter, independent and fast learner. This is a MUST.
- Majoring in Accounting, Finance or related field.
- Ability to learn quickly and experience producing high quality work in short periods of time.
- Excellent problem solving and decision making skills required.
- Staff Accountant Intern will often be working directly with clients’ staff, so good communication skills are a must. Should also have a positive attitude, and creative thinking skills.
- The nature of this work requires constant attention to detail, with no tolerance for sloppiness.
- Should be willing to learn how to deal with financial and numeric data, and general accounting practices and theory in private sector and government.
- Excellent work habits, including a willingness to work the hours necessary to get the job done, especially when important deadlines are looming.
- Proficient knowledge of Microsoft Office programs, especially Excel.
- Proficient planning skills and the ability to organize and prioritize job responsibilities in order to meet conflicting deadlines as required.
- Ability to recognize and resolve discrepancies/errors in recorded data to ensure financial statements are complete and accurate.
- Willingness to learn general ledger software: Deltek GCS Premier, Sage 50, & QuickBooks.
- Willingness to learn government contract accounting and compliance mainly FAR Part 30, 31, DCAA Audit Manual and other regulations as required.
- Ability to speak and write clearly in English
If you are interested in applying for this position, please respond to us by email at email@example.com including:
1) Resume and three references.
2) Your current resume.
About JS Morlu, LLC CPAs: JS Morlu, a CPA firm in Virginia and Washington, provides accounting and business advisory services to companies, governments and not-for-profit organizations in the USA and abroad. At JS Morlu, we conduct ourselves with the utmost of integrity, trustworthiness, accountability and respect to honor our commitment to excellence in everything we do. JS Morlu offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package, including full medical/dental insurance and 401(K) plan. JS Morlu is an equal opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, gender, age, color, religion, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other protected factor.